Calan Side Effects
Serious Side Effects of Calan
may cause adverse reactions
. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor right away
- difficulty breathing, shortness of breath
- unexplained weight gain or swelling
- chest tension, pain or aching
- abnormal heart beat, slow heart rate or rapid heart rate
- heart attack or stroke
- fever, soreness of the throat, and head pain, with irritated, red, peeling skin
- low blood pressure (hypotension) with signs of dizziness, faintness, or passing out
- mental or mood changes
- changes in vision, blurry vision
- swelling of breast in men or gynecomastia (abnormal breast development in men)
- upset stomach, minor fever, loss of appetite, jaundice or yellowing of the skin and eyes, darkened urine, and clay-colored or pale stools could be signs of liver disease
- serious allergic reaction: irritated, red itchy skin, hives, swelling of the face, mouth, tongue, throat or lips, and trouble breathing or swallowing
Common Side Effects of Calan
- constipation or diarrhea
- muscle aches
- increased sweating
- dryness of the mouth
- feeling dizzy
- trembling or shaking
- feeling tired
- lack of desire or ability to have sex
- unexplained hair loss
- ringing in ears
- itchy skin
Warnings & Recalls for Calan
Calan and Pregnancy
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration
has labeled Calan as a pregnancy Category C
drug. Sufficient research has not been done to determine if Calan could
harm the fetus if taken by a pregnant woman. Calan can be passed
through breast-milk and could harm a nursing baby
. Do not take Calan without first consulting
your doctor if you are pregnant
, may become pregnant
or are breast-feeding
Limit your use of alcohol while taking Calan. When combined, these drugs may cause a serious drop in blood pressure, causing dizziness or drowsiness.
Let your doctor know about any medicines you are taking before using Calan, especially any blood pressure medications, sedatives, antibiotics, anti-fungals, cholesterol lowering drugs, beta-blockers, treatments for HIV or AIDS, or heart rhythm disorder treatments. Also tell your doctor if you are using:
Calan and Grapefruit Interactions
with grapefruit products
. Avoid eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice. Grapefruit may cause a buildup of Calan
in the bloodstream and lead to an increased intensity of side effects
produced by this medication. Talk to your doctor about safely consuming grapefruit while using Calan.
using Calan as a treatment for your condition, be sure to tell your doctor
if you have any of the following:
- any allergies, especially to any other calcium channel blockers
- low blood pressure
- recently had a heart attack
- any serious heart conditions such as "sick sinus syndrome" or "AV block"
- a history if kidney or liver disease
- congestive heart failure
- any nerve-muscle disorders (myasthenia gravis or muscular distrophy)
Calan Treatment and Use
Calan | Verapamil belongs to a group of medicines called calcium channel blockers and is marketed by Pfizer for treating high blood pressure (hypertension) and chest pain (angina). Calan may also be prescribed for:
- treating cluster headaches (extremely painful headaches)
- regulating abnormal heart rhythms
- decreasing risk of heart attack or disease, congestive heart failure, stroke, or death
Calan has also shown positive results in treating migraines.
How Does Calan Work?
Calan treats blood pressure by lowering the speed at which calcium flows through the heart and blood vessels. Blood vessels widen to allow more blood to pass through and the heart begins to beat at a slower pace. This reaction triggered by Calan decreases blood pressure and may help control the rate of the heart.
Calan Dosage Information
Calan comes in various dose amounts in tablet, extended-release tablets or capsule form. These tablets should be taken orally 3 or 4 times each day as prescribed by your doctor. Do not use more or less than your doctor recommends. Prescription amounts depend on the medical condition of the patient as well as other physical factors. Ask your doctor which amount is right for you.
Calan should not be broken or chewed, this may release too much medicine into your system at once. However, if instructed by your doctor, capsules may be opened and sprinkled into a spoonful of applesauce to be taken right away without chewing.
Avoid consumption of grapefruit while taking Calan. See “Warnings and Recalls” tab for more information.
Do not end your use of Calan until your prescription cycle is over. Abruptly ending this treatment may cause your condition to worsen. Your doctor may gradually lower your dose of Calan before stopping your treatment completely.
Follow all packaged instructions and directions given to you by your doctor. Treating high blood pressure may require following a strict diet as well as a healthy exercise routine.
Other Names for Calan
- Calan SR
- Isoptin SR
- Verelan PM
Lawsuits & Legal Information for Calan