Pradaxa Side Effects
| dabigatran side effects
and adverse reactions include:
- gastrointestinal discomfort/dysfunction
- unusual bruising
- coughing up blood
- bloody or tarry stools
- excess or heavier than normal bleeding
- joint pain and/or swelling of the joints
- skin rash
If you or someone you know have experienced adverse Pradaxa side effects, please fill out our report a bad drug
form. Doing so helps to alert other patients to side effects that they may have previously overlooked.
Warnings & Recalls for Pradaxa
- Pradaxa side effects have put it in the news. As of November 6, 2011, the European Medicines Agency was aware of 256 cases of serious bleeding that resulted in patient deaths associated with Pradaxa. The FDA also warns of severe bleeding in one of its safety alerts for human medical products.
- Pradaxa side effects have also caught the attention of Cleveland Clinic researchers Ken Uchino, MD and Adrian V. Hernandez, MD, PhD. They analyzed the data of 30,514 patients enrolled in seven clinical trials and found that patients taking Pradaxa had a 33% higher risk of heart attack or severe symptoms of heart disease than do patients taking warafin.
Pradaxa Treatment and Use
Pradaxa | dabigatran is an anticoagulant (blood thinner) in a class of drugs called direct thrombin inhibitors. It is manufactured by the drug maker Boeringer Ingelheim and is approved for the preventative treatment of strokes or blood clots in individuals who suffer from atrial fibrillation without heart valve disease.
Pradaxa comes in a capsule form and is to be taken orally, whole, with or without food. It is important to note that in 2011, an FDA drug safety communication was released, warning against transporting Pradaxa capsules to pill boxes or other containers. Dabigatran is highly vulnerable to moisture and storing the medication in containers other than the original runs the risk of speeding up the degradation process.
Your doctor will take many different factors into consideration before beginning you on treatment with Pradaxa. These include, but are not limited to: weight, age, gender, other medications you are currently taking, as well as any other medical conditions you may have.
Other Names for Pradaxa
Lawsuits & Legal Information for Pradaxa
Posted on Mar 8, 2012